Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Visit to the Gila River

Last weekend I visited various places along the Gila River in south eastern Arizona. I went to the Gila Box riparian area and I visited various small towns along the Gila south of Morenci, along highway US 75. There was good flow in the river and I saw a few folks with inflatable rafts and kayaks in the area although, generally, there weren't many people around:


Traveling along route 75 next to the river I found quite a bit of agriculture although I'm not sure what was being grown because it is still very early in the season. I ate breakfast in Duncan on Sunday and got into a conversation with a man who has lived in that small town (pop. 750) all his life (70 years). We talked about floods, big towns, small towns, the weather, life in Duncan, etc. In Shelton, Arizona I met a couple of dogs who were quite friendly but smelled of skunk! Here is a photo of them taken with a wide angle lens:


In a couple of weeks, I'll be heading up to Flagstaff to work with some folks at the USGS for a day or two. I'll plan to go up early and try some photography in some of the small towns in the area (perhaps).

No comments: